Thursday, May 3, 2007

In no particular order....

1. I spent the day up at Hasbro's Games division on Tuesday, which is just over the border from Connecticut in Western Mass. On the drive up, there is a sign for "Margate Prison (Seasonal)". What happens to the prisoners when the season ends? I guess I wouldn't fear a 12 year sentence as it's more like "12 years....or until the first snowfall"

2. Someday I will make a list of what are the greatest 'access perks' that I have enjoyed while working at my PR firm in Manhattan. High on the list would be getting to go on a factory tour of Hasbro games where they make all the great games. It's nothing fancy in terms of presentation, but it's just really cool.

3. I'm all about loyalty....or perhaps misplaced loyalty. I've been going to the same dry cleaners for the past 7 years. I don't know the employees' names, but I feel committed to them. I act as if my small amount of money I spend with them is essential for their survival. If I go away, they'll be short on their earnings.

But by moving, they're just a tad too inconvenient now. Especially because Kathryn drives me to the station, and she lets me off right in front of another dry cleaners. Couldn't be more convenient. I felt "dirty" patronizing them yesterday for the first time. Who knows if it'll continue....they are a whopping $0.35 more per shirt. (But, I don't have to plug a parking meter, so maybe that should be factored in....)

4. Speaking of loyalty without knowing names, next door to the new dry cleaners is our barbershop. I've been going there for 7 years. There are two barbers. Never once have I found out their names. When I went on Saturday, I think I heard someone call them Louie and Tom, but I can't verify that. Lame on my part!

5. While at Hasbro, I asked them to bring back "EMERGENCY!", a great board game from the 70s. My friend Mark and I played it a lot. My mom sent it out to me a while ago and the kids like to play it. It was based on that great 70s TV show of the same name. I don't remember much about it, but I remember we loved the show. Kind of the ER of its day.

6. During my client meetings, we started discussing favorite old-time TV shows, etc. It was a tad embarrassing how many specific details I remember about all these shows. But I realized a fellow participant in the room was cool when SHE brought up a favorite show of mine: "It's Your Move". It starred Jason Bateman after he left Silver Spoons and lasted only 1 season. We taped all the reruns that summer, but I have no idea where they are now. Anyone else remember that show? It was really clever.

7. Turns out my former HT here in New York served in the same mission as I did, under the same president (I at the first of my president's tenure, and my HT at the end). We've known each other for years and never connected that. Even though he came to our house monthly and sat in our living room with a Table Mountain picture, he never connected the dots. Funny.

8. Josh and I watched Field of Dreams together on Monday night. He's so in to baseball that I knew he would love it. Some may say it's hokey, but I honestly think it's one of my favorite films. Such great lessons illustrated in it. Can't believe that I first saw that movie "half my life ago". I was 18 when it came out (or younger, maybe) and now I'm 36. Such an inspiring film.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Liz....I believe the "It's your Move" tapes are in the cabinets under the record player. At least that's where I saw it last. I miss Eli and Norman!