Monday, October 22, 2007

Two Ideas for Instructing Kids

1. My daughter's Primary teacher has a great idea for encouraging three slightly rowdy boys to sit still during the class time. It's kind of a new twist on Musical Chairs. He sets his watch alarm to go off in random intervals. Any kid who got his/her seat on their seat and feet on floor when the alarm goes off gets a piece of candy. If it goes off and they aren't sitting down -- no candy. He does it a few times throughout the lesson. If the boys get crazy, he just says "I'd sure hate to see the alarm go off right now." Pure genius!

2. I had a random thought last week at FHE. Would it be such a bad idea to have a "Jr" and "Sr" FHE? The older two kids are at a completely different levels than the younger ones in terms of comprehending lessons. Why not have a break-out class for the younger two so the older two are given a 'deeper' lesson. We could start as a whole family for prayer, song, scripture, etc., then have each parent teach two of the kids. Divide and Conquer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved both of your comments -- although I just have one rowdy boy in my Primary class we are always trying to find ways to help him. He's really cute but just has a hard time sitting still and talking out of turn.

Your Jr and Sr FHE would be great. In fact, one of the reasons we failed at FHE was because the big ones didn't want to do what the little ones wanted to. So as a result we didn't do much of anything. I wish I had ignored the big ones (because they got a lot of discussion at the dinner table with their dad) and concentrated on the little ones. Also, this is an excuse, but FHE wasn't emphasized as much as it is today. I'm sure it if had been we would have been much more diligent about it.