Sunday, November 25, 2007

House Notes

Well, we've been in the house for nearly 8 months. And I think we're finally to the point of feeling "we're done" with major renovations, etc. It helps actually having pictures up on most of the walls. Now the last touch is waiting for our new couch to arrive in about a week.

Some random notes:

1. After 8 months, I still can't remember where the silverware drawer is. I continually go to the left of the dishwasher to find silverware, even though it's never been kept there. It seems like the logical place for some reason, but it's really over by the store.

2. After 6 months, I was still trying to turn off the light in Josh's room with the light switch even though the light switch is linked to an electrical plug instead of an overhead light. I finally outsmarted myself by moving Josh's lamp over to the other side of the room so that the switch does, indeed, turn off the light.

3. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a toilet to stop running? This is the new toilet in our main upstairs bathroom. It didn't run with the old toilet, but has already run since we've had this one installed. The plumber adjusted it once, and last week, we had them install a new 'flapper' as they said that was the problem. But it still runs for about 8 seconds every 15 or 20 minutes. It drives me crazy. I'm open to solutions.

4. Speaking of solutions, my Swiss train watch has an issue now, too. The hour hand has gotten pushed ahead somehow, so that when it's 10 o clock straight up, the little hand is about 1/4 of the way past 10 o clock. It's off just enough to be annoying.

5. Don't ask me if you have turn the key left or right on the front door to unlock and lock it. It continues to be trial and error every day. I should learn that.

6. My favorite touch that was added a week ago was a great sunset picture that my Grandma painted at Laguna that features me and my 3 siblings. It's just the right set of colors to match the gold color of our family room.

7. I'm still learning the art of tip-toeing around the house at night without waking up kids. Haven't mastered all the creaking floor boards.

8. One thing I don't like is the light switch in the play room upstairs. For some odd reason, it's over in the opposite far corner from the entrance. So you have to turn it off and then navigate a completely dark room which can be deadly with toys on the floor.

9. One thing I liked in the old house was that when I heard strange noises, I just thought it was the neighbors in our 'duplex-style' house. So I could just discount it. But now when I hear noises, I have to investigate because it might actually be something!

That's it for now. I have to focus this week on the "YEARLY" Christmas Newsletter, so I probably won't write until I have that finished.

Mark

No comments: