Monday, July 23, 2007

California vs. New York

On our recent trip from the Empire State to the Golden State, I noticed a couple of differences:

• In NY, they beg you not to make a U-turn, and if you do, they force you to take a separate U-turn lane that takes you up and around....and, technically, avoids an actual u-turn. In California, they seem to not only welcome but encourage U-Turns. I saw lots of actual signs showing the various ways a U-turn could be done legally.

• Don't even think of turning right on red in NY. Yes, they are legal, but it seems like very intersection posts a sign that overrules the state law by saying "no right turn at this intersection". You can make all the right turns you want in California.

• California seems to have more state pride...or at least more pride in their state flag. Have no idea what the NY state flag looks like (I think it's navy with a state seal something on it). But in California, the Bear Republic flies everywhere. I think New Yorkers are New York CITY lovers first, and kind of forget that we're associated with a state, too.

• Don't stand on the roadway in California when waiting to cross the street....DANGER! But in New York, it's kind of like taking a lead-off from first base. You get a "jump" on crossing the intersection by going as far into the crosswalk as you can without being picked off by a car. (Be careful of the 'brush back' drivers who send you scurrying back to the safety of the sidewalk.) Nobody stands on the sidewalk in NYC to wait for the light to change, but everyone does in California.

• California = friendlier people

• California = cleaner places, cleaner people

With no intended diss on my home state, I just seem to smile more and like life a lot more when I'm in the Golden State. "California Dreamin'....."


Mark

1 comment:

Denise said...

Yes, all that you say is true. And frankly, I miss many of those things. Here are a few you missed:

way fewer smokers
way better produce
way better weather
a more laid-back approach to life

I could go on. However, I love New York for just as many reasons. I guess it's a bloom where you are planted approach to life...or you could call me Pollyanna.