Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Are you listening?

From a talk I gave two weeks ago in the Bronx....

=============

"Hopefully I don’t embarrass the bishop too much, but one morning, I took a train to work that made stops in the Bronx. As I exited the train, I noticed someone that looked like Bishop Kelly. As the crowd edged forward off the platform and I got near to him, I wasn’t 100 percent sure it was him, because I’d only seen Bishop Kelly in “Bishop clothes” and he was dressed more casually. So to hedge my bets, I got within ear shot and simply said “Ian” (that felt safer than saying ‘Bishop’). I got no response, so I edged closer and said “Ian” again. I finally worked myself up to being right next to him, and I noticed he couldn’t hear me because he was groovin’ to his I-Pod. While standing right next to him, I said “Ian” for the third time, but to no avail. Not wanting to scare him by tapping him on the shoulder, I let the moment pass and didn’t say hello.


I use that only to illustrate a point, not to be judgmental, as the Bishop certainly is allowed to listen to an I-Pod. My point is simply to ask ourselves how many times Heavenly Father has attempted to communicate to us through his still small voice but there wasn’t an occasion throughout our day when we could receive the signal because of our "noise". The spirit might even increase his volume or level of intensity, but if we'd blocked off the receiver, so to speak, we won't get the message. And after trying to deliver it a handful of times, the spirit may simply give up, thus depriving us what we could have learned from or benefited from had we provided a "quiet zone" in our day to receive radio signals from heaven."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, thank you.