Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"For Better or For Worse"

I'm returning again to my mention the other day of how I heard that the creator of the comic strip "For Better or For Worse" had divorced from her husband. I said it made me sad as many of the strips seem to be autobiographical and be a recipe for a successful marriage.

I'm writing again because three specific strips illustrate what I was saying and are worth preserving here:

(NOTE: though these are spoken by a guy character, it's obvious the artist was a female as guys aren't normally capable of being so wise in their words.)

1. The husband walks in from work and looks at his wife. He says "Hi honey, you look beautiful". She responds with "AKKK!" (oh wait, that's more a "Cathy" phrase) "I look horrible. My hair is a mess, my jeans are stained, I don't have any make-up on", etc. He says: "I know...but I'm looking at you...and you look beautiful".

2. The couple is on a Caribbean vacation, walking along a beach. There are lots of beautiful 'babes' in bikinis. The wife starts to feel a little self-conscious and says "Wow...there sure are a lot of beautiful women on the beach." The husband says "You're right....and I'm with one of them".

3. The husband comes in while the wife is working at her desk. He says "It's a beautiful fall night. Let's go for a romantic walk, just the two of us". She protests, saying she has so much to do, a column due for the local newspaper, lunches to pack for kids, etc. He says: "If you were single and the man of your dreams called you and asked to go on a long walk together, what would you do?" In the last frame, you seeing them out for a walk arm in arm.

I feel those same sentiments toward my wife.

Mark

PS I learned from Kathryn that one of her friends in California has been following this blog for some time....just wanted you to know that made my day when she told me. I'm not a big commenter on blogs, nor do I expect many comments on my blog, but it's nice to know a few people enjoy my ramblings.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Well, I have to comment after that. I'm so honored to have been even mentioned in a blog post. Yes, I am an avid follower of your blog. I was thrilled when I found out through your Christmas letter that you had a blog. I don't exaggerate when I say your Christmas letter is our favorite to get because it is always so funny. You are hilarious and inspiring at the same time. Love your perspective on things. Keep it up. I'm a fan.

Anonymous said...

Kate Iverson?

Anonymous said...

Kate Iverson?

Anonymous said...

I think, John, you're thinking of Kate Igo. No Kate Iverson's. However, this must be a different Katherine. I'm not sure who it is. By the way, Mark, love your comments always.