Friday, July 18, 2008

Vacation, Day 5

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's our off-day from the beach. We always like to take at least one off-day from the beach during the week to give our skin a break. We hadn't done the zoo ever (hard to believe), so it fit the bill. Thanks to my sister for letting me borrow their car. My brother's family came along with us, too, in their car.

Of course, we were the first car in the parking lot (do we know any other way?) It's cheaper than Sea World, and I think worth what they charge. We took a tour of the zoo on a bus, then explored on foot.

No surprise...the kids loved the pandas and koalas. But I think I was surprised at how cool the hippo was.

It was an overcast -- and thus, cool -- day. And the crowds weren't there throughout the morning. That sure made it a pleasant visit. Our package allowed for rides on the Skyfari, which Matthew loved. (In fact, at the end of the day, we did one more round trip with Caroline just to enjoy it again).

By 1 p.m., we had seen most of the zoo, and then went to a sea lion show, which I didn't think lived up to expectations (perhaps I expected Sea World). We trudged on to the children's zoo, then I was hot and miserable. We packed our own lunch so we could splurge on treats. Great idea as nothing in my life tasted any better at 2 p.m. than a $4 ICEE (with $2 collectible straw as they don't offer straws to save the environment or the whales or something). I submit that nothing has ever tasted nicer or frostier in my life. I was one satisfied customer. I also got to finish all the kids' soft-serve ice creams.

We went for a ride on the little train outside the zoo in Balboa Park. That, too, was one of the biggest hits of the day.

As we had a free car, we went back to the swimming pool down "the Strand". Just long enough to cool off!

That night, I watched "Shall We Dance" (the original, Japanese version), which is a favorite for me and Kathryn, while Kathryn lay next to me and slept and occasionally woke up to read a subtitle or two. Hey, it had been a long day.....

No comments: