Friday, July 18, 2008

Vacation, Day 7

FRIDAY, July 11, 2008 (MY BIRTHDAY)

It's always super-special to get to spend my birthday with the family (that doesn't always happen) and on vacation.

Highlights included a Navy jet fly-over at the conclusion of singing Happy Birthday on the beach (the Navy trains pilots at the north end of the island, so they fly over all the time), a huge dolphin encore in the water (the closest I've ever seen them to shore, and it was like they were actually playing!), and even fireworks (details to come).

I also went to Subway to get lunch for a few of us....when ordering for multiple people, I sure prefer some place like McDonald's. Subway takes me "drive thru ordering" phobia and multiplies it by a ton. Too many variables to try and get straight, especially when the line is already out the door. Ugh.

That evening, my major present was getting to go to a Padres game with several of the family, including Kathryn and Josh, my Dad, and Liz, her husband and their son. PETCO PARK is a beautiful field...though I think it's a little weird to name the park after a pet supply store. But going to a game there is just a joy. We were on the very back row of the stadium behind home plate, which turned out to be a bonus! We could see over the top to watch the train and light rail yard, ships in the harbor, and, as mentioned above, fireworks toward the end of the game!

The Padres, though in last place, played well! They won 4-0. We got to see Jake Peavy, a great pitcher, and the all-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman, too. The Padres had 3 triples (well, one was an error). Oh, and it was free beach towel night AND $1 hot dogs and soda.

I sat next to my dad for the first few innings and it was just nice to chat for a long time.

It was the perfect birthday celebration. Exactly what I hoped for.

No comments: